History of McTague Law Firm

McTague Law Firm McTague Law Firm

McTague Law Firm LLP has served Windsor and southwestern Ontario since its founding in 1920 by Charles P. McTague. Mr. McTague practised with the firm until his appointment in July of 1935 to the Supreme Court of Ontario. He served there until December 8, 1938, when he was appointed to the Court of Appeal for the Province of Ontario. He sat as a Justice of Appeal until his retirement in April of 1944 at which time he accepted a position as Chairman of the National Labour Relations Board. Subsequent to that appointment, Mr. McTague served on the Wartime Contracts Board and later served as Counsel to the Investment Dealers Association of Canada.

Miss Helen McTague joined the firm in 1923 and served as partner from the mid-1920's to her retirement from active practice in 1967.

Throughout the 1920's and early 1930's, the McTague Law Firm grew in size and began to specialize in development work, Civil Litigation and Corporate Law. Partners of the firm in those years, in addition to Charles P. McTague, included James H. Clark (later Speaker of the Legislature of the Province of Ontario), Lorne Cumming (later City Solicitor for the City of Windsor and Chairman of the Ontario Municipal Board), and Armand Racine (later Public Trustee for the Province of Ontario).

Since the mid 1930's, partners, associates and students of the firm have included the Honourable Paul J. Martin, Sr., P.C. O.B.E., Lawrence Deziel (former Judge of the County Court of the County of Essex), Mr. Justice John Holland (Superior Court of Ontario), Mr. Justice Thomas Zuber, (Superior Court of Ontario and the Ontario Court of Appeal), The Right Honourable Herb Gray, P.C. C.C. Q.C. (former Deputy Prime Minister of Canada, President of the Treasury Board and House Leader in the House of Commons), Mr. Justice Kenneth G. Ouellette (Superior Court of Ontario), Mr. Justice Lawrence R. Morin (Superior Court of Ontario), Honourable Ernie Eves, Q.C. (former Premier of Ontario), Mr. Justice Terrence Patterson (Superior Court of Ontario) and the Honourable Ms. Susan Whelan, (former Federal Minister for International Cooperation), Drew Dilkens (elected Mayor of the Corporation of the City of Windsor), and most recently, Mr. Justice George W. King (Superior Court of Ontario).

In 1967, the firm merged with the well-established Whiteside, Coughlin & Whiteside law firm founded by John Rodd and Ernest Wigle. Mr. Rodd was a distinguished counsel and was one of the last to appear before the Judicial Committee of Privy Council. Mr. Wigle served as Mayor of the City of Windsor in the late 1930's. John W. Whiteside practised with the firm until his retirement from the partnership in 1976 to accept a position with the Faculty of Law, University of Windsor. Maurice F. Coughlin practised with the firm until his retirement in 1984.

Mr. Charles J. Clark, Q.C. joined the firm in 1941. He became a partner of the firm continuing his distinguished practise in the Corporate Commercial area for 53 years until his retirement from the firm in 1994. Mr. Clark was involved in many community projects including the University of Windsor where he at one point acted as Chairman of the Board of Governors. He was a member of many boards, many of which were volunteer appointments. He was a special appointee of the Government of Ontario to review medical and related practices. Mr. Clark passed away in 1996.

In 1981, in the midst of recession, the partners of the McTague Law Firm purchased lands and constructed their law offices on Pelissier Street in the City of Windsor. The offices stand as a symbol of the firm's commitment to the future of the City of Windsor and the County of Essex.

The McTague Law Firm has continued to grow and expand to respond to the ever changing needs of our community.

Members of the McTague Law Firm have continued the firm’s tradition of commitment to public service:

Jeffrey W. MacKinnon Member of the Executive Committee and Chair Elect of the Board of Directors of the Windsor-Essex Regional Chamber of Commerce
Nancy Jammu-Taylor Board of Governors of St. Clair College, Supervising Lawyer for Bro Bono Students Canada since 2011
Josephine Stark Career Development Advisory Committee of the University of Windsor, Faculty of Law
David M. Amyot Board Member of the Multicultural Council of Windsor and Essex County; Member of the Human Resources Committee, Life After Fifty
Stephen C. Roberts Member of the Law Society of Upper Canada's Certified Specialist Committee for Workplace Safety and Insurance Law, Member of the Policy Committee of the Employer's Advocacy Council, Member of WSIAT Advisory Group; Board of Directors of Windsor Cancer Centre Foundation
David M. Sundin Board Member of the Essex Law Association; Executive Board Member of the Autism Services Inc. Windsor and Essex County
Brian L. Chillman Lawyer Member of the Ontario Consent and Capacity Board

The McTague Law Firm remains as one of the oldest and most pre-eminent in the area, providing a wide range of legal services to our clients.